Friday, August 28, 2015

Back to School Dreams by Andrew Jobson

Back to School Dreams

I don’t usually remember my dreams, but the time of year is approaching when some of my most vivid dreams have occurred.  I remember one where I was back on stage for my senior play, Oklahoma! Unfortunately, I could no longer remember my lines—I was very surprised to find myself on stage and wondered how on earth I had gotten there.  Of
course, all eyes were on me, and I stumbled through “It’s a Scandal, It’s an Outrage” as best I could, but it was extremely embarrassing. However, at least one other dream topped it. In this one, I was standing in front of a classroom of teenagers, and I found myself trying desperately to think of what I was supposed to be teaching.  Once again, I felt as though I had dropped into another dimension with no preparation. To further my distress, I realized a few minutes into the dream that I had somehow forgotten to wear slacks.

That was probably the dream that helped me figure out what was going on.  (Some of you may be saying at this point, what took you so long?)  Why did these dreams tend to occur in late summer?  Because I was worrying about getting back up in front of a classroom and not being prepared, of having my weaknesses exposed.  Such dreams were a spur to throw myself back into planning after a few months doing something else.

I’m not sure whether to be grateful for these dreams, or not. Thankfully, they seem to have diminished in more recent years. Of course, maybe that’s just because, after twenty years in the classroom, my memory is getting weaker rather than the dreams.

Sleep tight!


An educator of 22 years, Andy Jobson has taught government, economics, and U.S. History. Currently teaching English literature at Riverside Military Academy in Gainesville, GA, he’s also been an administrator, a STAR teacher twice, and taught elementary school with Teach for America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

econlife - Who Will Sacrifice Civil Liberties During a Pandemic? by Elaine Schwartz

  In a new NBER paper, a group of Harvard and Stanford scholars investigated how much of our civil liberties we would trade for better heal...